Software Engineer – Lead Full Stack Developer
Community Benchmark is used by…
Job Title: Software Engineer – Lead Full Stack Developer – Full Time
Reporting To: CEO & Founder
Primary Function: Initially learn from senior engineers and then lead software development and architecture of new features to fulfill our mission of providing actionable insights through data.
Compensation: Competitive salary based on experience including regular reviews. Health benefits, 401k and open vacation policy. Equity participation included.
Contact: Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Location:Remote with preference for Northern CA locations near Santa Rosa, CA
Our purpose is to help small business communities thrive.
We’re changing the wine industry forever by delivering a service the wineries have wanted for a long time. Although sharing numbers with your peers and neighbors is a provocative concept, we have received unprecedented industry support and are rapidly becoming the wine industry standard.
We added over 100 wineries to our platform in 2018 and will at least double each year for the next three years.
We are deeply passionate about helping winery communities make more confident and effective decisions driven by data. We are incredibly ambitious and competitive, yet humble, curious, and accepting. Whether you build, market, sell or support and manage product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What’s the Opportunity?
Are you attracted to small businesses or the wine industry? Are you interested in owning and taking over the development of a core product into a whole product while being mentored by friendly engineers with over 40 years over experience? Are you interested in working with directly with a hustler Founder who has written code himself and understands the challenges of developing sustainable software? Do you get excited about delivering high-value features to passionate users that rely on your products to understand their business performance?
If the answer is yes to the above, you may have found your dream job and we may have found our dream hire.
I’m John, the Founder of Community Benchmark. I’ve done this before and here is my story. Here is a 3 minute video to give you a feel for the product (minutes 12-15). I’m looking for for an entrepreneurial developer who wants to spread their wings in a small but experienced team with a new ground breaking product. Two of the co-founders are senior developers who have combined 40 years of experience. They will cheer lead, mentor, and assist you on a part-time and regular basis towards you taking over the reigns and leading our technology development. Let’s do this!
What will I be Doing?
At Community Benchmark, you will be a product engineer – someone who solves real customer small business data analysis problems. You’ll eventually (ideally within a few months) be the lead developer where you will build both back-end and front-end systems, and work closely with our founding team and Director of Member Services. This will include:
- Architect and build new features using Python /Django, React, and d3.
- Understand internal and customer requests and creatively implement those features into Community Benchmark production software
- Support our ongoing data integration efforts with various winery and point of sale systems.
- Manage the AWS infrastructure and associated services
- Collaborate directly with founders, Director of Member Services, and sometimes members themselves.
What skills do I need?
- 3+ years of industry experience in a software engineering role, preferably building a SaaS product. You can demonstrate significant impact that your work has had on the product and/or the team.
- Deep knowledge of Python strongly preferred.
- Experience collaborating directly with product teams and designers, and a proven track record of delivering value to customers or users.
- Desire to plan, build, and own a complete software product.
- Experience (or interest) in some devops/server provisioning, deployment, and maintenance.
- Bonus: Experience with our technology stack:
Ability to enjoy wine!
What are our Core Values?
We are building a strong team with a strong company culture, i.e. the way we act, feel, and treat each other and our members. Here are our Core Values:
- Crush it – compete to win and create wins for our team and members.
- Balance – work smart, valuable output is greatest measure, have a life outside of the office.
- Candor – always strive for open, honest, direct but supportive communication (with team and members)
- Speed – imperfectly done is better than perfectly undone, maintain strong pace, grow fast.
There is a lot of freedom and many benefits in this role but if there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to me!
- Competitive salary, uncapped commission, and meaningful equity in a fast-growing start-up
- Health benefits, 401k & Equity participation included.
- Regular compensation reviews – we will reward great work!
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Autonomy in all aspects of the work (including location) as we collaborate in a best idea wins environment
- Be the one in charge!